The City of Mason City is taking applications for the Police Officer civil service hiring list, which requires a physical ability test and written exam for non-certified officers. The list created from this recruitment will be used to fill full-time Police Officer positions within the Mason City Police Department. The Mason City Police Department serves a community of 28,000 and is located just two hours from Des Moines and the Twin Cities. Mason City offers many amenities of a larger urban area with the feel of small town living. Bring your family and continue your career in a community where there is opportunity for you and for them! Among the positive benefits you will find here is a supportive environment for law enforcement, both within City government and within the broader community.
We offer a very competitive salary scale that starts at $62,700 for non-certified officers. Increased pay for Iowa certified officers up to $83,000 per year, based on years of law enforcement experience. Added compensation for college education and shift differential is also available. $5,000 relocation package and $9,000 for certified officers. In addition, we offer a $2,000 annual stipend for all officers choosing to purchase a home to live in Mason City.
- 21 years of age or older at time of hire.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid State driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol (Chapter 400.17 of the Iowa Code).
- No felony convictions.
- No disqualifying misdemeanors within the last seven years.
- Meet the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) physical and vision requirements.
- Non-certified officers - Pass the written POST test and ILEA required physical fitness test.
- Certified officers - Only need to participate in the physical agility test for baseline purposes, and do not need to take the written POST test.
- Pass a post-offer physical/drug test, polygraph and psychological evaluation.
- Live within 30 miles of Mason City within six month of hire (see map).
The written POST and physical agility testing will be conducted in January. Candidates will receive additional details about the testing once an application is received.
To apply or learn more about the testing process and the Mason City Police Department visit www.masoncitypd.us or call 641-421-3378.
Equal Opportunity Employer