2024 AAPD Summer Internship Program
In 2002, AAPD launched the Summer Internship Program to develop the next generation of leaders with disabilities. For 20 years, we have placed college students, graduate students, law students, and recent graduates with all types of disabilities in paid summer internships with Congressional offices, federal agencies, nonprofit and for-profit organizations within the Washington, DC area. The AAPD Summer Internship Program advances participants’ career opportunities, deepens their leadership skills, and meaningfully connects them to the broader disability community.
Throughout the summer, AAPD interns will:
- Participate in a 1-week orientation to prepare for their internship, meet with the cohort, and learn about the disability rights movement
- Participate in the Disability Advocacy Certificate Program to build advocacy skills to advocate on the local, state, and national level.
- Attend events and network on Capitol Hill, conferences, community events, briefings, and more
- Connect one-on-one with a mentor who provides career guidance
AAPD interns are paid a living stipend, a technology and internet stipend for remote interns, transportation to and from Washington, D.C., and fully accessible housing or a housing stipend if remote. Due to minimizing barriers to participation, we are able to recruit a diverse cohort of interns. As a result, we connect our host employers to talented emerging leaders with disabilities.
Who can apply?
To be an AAPD summer intern, you must:
- Identify as a person with a disability
- Be a current student or recent graduate of a U.S. based school or program
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent by May 2024
How to apply?
You can view the entire Summer 2024 application in our Summer Application Google Document.
We will have an information session to learn more about the program and application. The information session will be Tuesday, October 3 from 4:00-5:00 pm ET. CART and ASL will be provided. The session will be recorded and available on the AAPD website. Please email email@example.com with any questions or accommodation requests.