Portland Public Schools: Accounting Specialist
Portland Public Schools is welcoming applicants for an Accounting Specialist vacancy for the business office.
The essential duties and responsibilities:
● Process financial transactions of the district including receipts, disbursements, credit card, journal entries, and payroll.
● Perform reconciliations and analysis of district accounts and programs.
● Perform year end closing activities and accrual journal entries.
● Prepare and process annual W2 and 1099 tax reporting.
● Prepare schedules and support the annual audit process.
● Maintain accounts payable vendor files.
● Maintain district files and accounting records in accordance with retention schedule.
● Assist with the development and monitoring of the district budget.
● Assist with preparing various financial reports including but not limited to: Quarterly Medicaid cost reports, annual FID, SE4094, and SE4096.
● Assist with: ORS (Office of Retirement Services) reporting, preparing quarterly 941, state and local tax reporting, W2 and year end payroll processing, and other payroll and benefits related tasks.
● Assist with purchasing of supplies.
● Assist with the oversight and implementation of district policies.
● Other duties as assigned.
Eligible candidates must meet the following qualifications:
● Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance, preferred. Consideration will be given for Associates Degree and/or 3-5 years of professional experience in a similar setting: accounting or school finance.
● Knowledge of all computer/technology skills required for this position, such as Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
● Ability to work independently, solve problems, and make good decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures required.
● Ability to communicate cooperatively and effectively with staff and external entities required.
● Ability to exercise discretion regarding confidential information required.
● Ability to manage busy workload, multiple projects and meet deadlines required.
● Title: Accounting Specialist
● Reports to: Associate Superintendent of Finance and Operations
● Calendar: 260 days a year
● Compensation: $44,000- $52,000 based on experience and qualifications
● Contract includes: vacation, sick, holiday, retirement, full-family insurance: health, dental, vision, life and disability, and education certification training
● Posting date: March 13, 2023
● Application deadline: March 29, 2023
Applicants for the position should email the following documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● A letter of interest
● A current resume
● A list of references with contact information
● Transcripts, if applicable
Questions about the position can be sent to Mr. Derrick Stair, Associate Superintendent of Finance and Operations, Portland Public Schools
No person applying for employment at Portland Public Schools shall, on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation and transgender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information or any other legally protected category, (collectively, "Protected Classes"), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities. We are an equal opportunity employer.