Library Assistant I
See NOTE(S) below for future wage increases and/or additional compensation opportunities.
Library Assistant I positions perform a variety of routine clerical tasks using a computer; sort, straighten, and shelve books and other library materials; lift/carry items weighing up to 50 pounds; check books and other library materials in/out to the public; file records, documents, and maps; make simple book repairs; collect fines; retrieve library materials for patrons; answer routine questions; assist the public and other library staff; and perform other duties as assigned.
- The following wage increase is scheduled to take effect for Library Assistant I: 2.5% effective 4/1/23.
- Eligible benefited employees originally hired on or after July 10, 2021, will be automatically enrolled in the San Diego City Employees Retirement System (SDCERS).
- Library Assistant I employees may be eligible for Career Advancement to Library Assistant II.
- Work schedules may include evenings and weekends.
- The list established for these positions may be used to fill full-time and half-time vacancies.
- Some Library Assistant I employees may be assigned to one or more branches within the Library Department.
- Library Assistant I employees may be required to grasp, carry, and lift books or book totes weighing up to 50 pounds; bend; reach overhead to heights of 80 inches with the assistance of a step stool; and stand for long periods of time.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
AGE: 15 ½ years of age or older.
- Applicants less than age 18 must obtain a work permit prior to starting work.
- Work permits are obtained through the school system.
- Applicants who are age 17 and are high school graduates, or have passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or General Education Development (GED) examination, are not required to have a work permit.
CITIZENSHIP: You must be a United States citizen or have the current legal right to work in the United States.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License may be required at the time of hire.