Human Resources Summer Intern
The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) provides operations support services and business solutions to the community of 10,000 House Members, Officers, and staff. The CAO organization comprises more than 700 technical and administrative staff working in a variety of areas, including information technology, finance, budget management, human resources, payroll, childcare, food and vending, procurement, logistics and administrative counsel.
This paid internship** is located in the Human Resources Immediate Office of the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), U.S. House of Representatives (House). The HR Immediate Office is responsible for providing strategic human capital guidance and an array of human resource programs to CAO employees and applicants. In addition to these important services, the HR office also provides targeted programs to the Congressional community, including confidential counseling services, well-being offerings, and the Wounded Warrior and Gold Star Fellowship programs. This position does not have day-to-day supervisory/managerial responsibilities.
CAO-HR is excited to provide an engaging experience for an intern to support our dynamic team. We will offer the intern the ability to (1) work on challenging and rewarding projects; (2) contribute to meaningful and important activities; and (3) support programs in service to the House. Specific examples of projects include assisting with our diversity recruiting and outreach efforts, providing support to our competency-based training programs, and contributing to the establishment of a House-wide HR Hub which provides guidance and resources to the House community.
*Performs other official duties as assigned.
**paid at an annual rate of $32,308 not to exceed 120 days
· Interest and curiosity with the human resources field required. Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate Human Resources educational program preferred.
· Experience with Microsoft Office Suite required. Experience working in a professional office setting preferred.
· Experience managing social media profiles for a company or organization preferred.
· Experience supporting recruiting activities, including reviewing job applications for required qualifications, preferred. Experience working with HR Information Systems or Applicant Tracking Systems preferred.
· Must be able to work with all levels of a multifaceted workforce as well as with sensitive, confidential, and complex projects/ responsibilities. Ability to multi-task and work well both independently and on a team required.
· Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, as well as the ability to establish effective working relationships with senior staff and other high-ranking officials.
· Ideal candidate will be a results-oriented team player possessing an interest in public service.
*Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check (or other applicable security clearance) and a pre-employment drug-test (pre-identified position only).