Early Childhood Associate Teacher
The University of Michigan Health System Children's Center has openings for Associate Teachers to assist in our infant, toddler and preschool classes. This is a great opportunity to gain experience working with various age groups.
The Health System Children's Center is one of three early childhood programs on the U-M Ann Arbor campus providing care for children from 3 months to 5 years of age. Our centers provide care for close to 500 children of faculty, staff and students from all over the world. The centers employ over 120 staff members, as well as undergraduate student assistants. HSCC uses the Creative Curriculum to facilitate play-based learning and COR Advantage to assess children's growth and development. We maintain low teacher to child ratios so relationships can flourish. Additional information about the U-M Children's Centers can be found at www.childcare.umich.edu
As an assistant teacher at the HSCC, you will work with children, families and coworkers from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and abilities. You will have an opportunity to grow in your profession and contribute your creativity and experiences in a collaborative manner. Professional development opportunities are provided regularly. You will report directly to the center Director.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance, dental and vision plans
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Tuition assistance for furthering formal education in early childhood education is available pending funding
University Human Resources seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
- Provide developmentally appropriate early learning experiences and care for infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Effectively manage groups of young children within state required ratios to ensure a safe and supportive environment.
- Collaborate and co-participate with children, families, and colleagues to cultivate an environment of respectful and meaningful relationships.
- Utilize technology to effectively document and reflect on the experiences of children for assessment, planning, and family engagement.
- Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with infants, toddlers or preschoolers in a group setting.
- Ability to work closely with a team to develop classroom curriculum and foster positive relationships with children, families and coworkers.
Other requirements include:
- Ability to move, hold and position oneself when interacting with children and objects up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to interact and move around with children in such a way as to fully participate in classroom activities.
- Ability to supervise and interact with children outdoors for extended periods of varied weather conditions
Applications accepted through U-M Career Website. Enter job opening ID 229586 to review posting and submit application, resume and cover letter. Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.