Community Engagement Coordinator
Community Engagement Coordinator
Location: Detroit, Michigan; Dexter-Linwood Hub
Brilliant Detroit Overview
In 2015 Brilliant Detroit was created to provide a radically new approach to kindergarten readiness in neighborhoods. The idea was to create a unique delivery model in our approach to early childhood development by using underutilized housing stock to create early child and family centers in neighborhoods. Brilliant Detroit homes provide holistic services for kids 0-8 predicated on evidence-based programs around health, family support, and education. Brilliant Detroit was born to create kid success neighborhoods. Today, in each location, neighbors come together for fellowship, activities and learning to assure school readiness, and provide needed support for families.
This work will be done in accordance with the core principles of our Detroit-based non-profit team:
★ With, For, and By: This work is guided by the leadership and ongoing input of our participants.
★ Coordinated and Continuous: Evidence-based programs are coordinated to meet the goals and needs of participants continuously throughout early childhood.
★ Whole Family and Holistic: Evidence-based programs operate holistically, meeting an array of needs to improve literacy, health, and family stability. These programs focus not just on children but on caregivers as well.
★ Love, Safety, and Growth: It takes creating an atmosphere of love and safety, where people feel truly seen and cared for, before we can grow.
★ Asset-Based: Everybody has a gift or talent that they can share and a purpose they can play in building kid success neighborhoods.
★ Neighbor-to-Neighbor Across Zip Codes: Brilliant Detroit offers opportunities for people to connect and build community as neighbors regardless of the zip code in which they live.
Brilliant Detroit is seeking a Community Engagement Coordinator. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for greeting and engaging participants, executing intakes, and providing resource and referral services; additionally, this individual is involved in neighborhood outreach and entering program data for analysis, as well as providing scheduling and logistical support as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Guide and assist families through the intake process
- Interact with all participants in a warm and friendly manner
- Maintain familiarity with each partner organization and programming
- Provide resources and referrals based on the self-sufficiency model
- Advocate for needed services on behalf of Brilliant participants
- Identify current trends and neighborhood families’ needs
- Participate in outreach and recruitment efforts
- Identify and help eliminate barriers that restrict recruitment and services
- Complete all reports and paperwork in a timely manner
- Enter program data into network database(s)
- Participate in training and staff development as requested
- Serve on networking committees or work groups
- Assist with research collection and organization as needed
- Lead and/or participate in Play and Learn groups with moms and children
- Provide logistical support with listening sessions and other meetings as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Communications or a related field preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience working in schools or other social service providers preferred
- Strong, demonstrated technological proficiency with Google Drive, especially Google Sheets
- One to three years in non-profit or community settings preferred
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders and team members around a goal
- Work with minimal up-front guidance and the ability to take ownership of work product
- Ability to work cooperatively with individuals of diverse racial/economic/cultural backgrounds
- Must be able to to lift and move at least 25 pounds
- This position may require evening and/or weekend work
- Local travel required, reliable transportation needed. COVID Vaccinated individuals preferred