The Saugatuck Center for the Arts is a community-based art center transforming lives through innovative education, bold entertainment, and unexpected engagement. We are a community asset, a collaborative partner, and are deeply committed to building a stronger, more vibrant regional arts & cultural landscape.
The Properties (Props) Master/Mistress shall work alongside professional theatre personnel. They shall perform each and every duty and obligation with due diligence and to the best of their knowledge, skill, judgment, and ability. The Props Master/Mistress is expected to devote such amounts of time, energy and skill as may be necessary to perform the duties required hereunder. Hours are dependent on performance times and include some nights and weekends.
Opportunities, duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing and maintaining all rehearsal and performance properties
- Tracking all borrowed and rented props and returning them promptly after the productions
- Attending weekly production meetings
- Attending tech rehearsals and Designer Run-thru rehearsals as requested
- Coordinating with the Technical Director, Set Designer, Director, Production Stage Manager
and Producer to determine responsibilities for various pieces
- Keeping work areas clean and organized
- Taking inventory and updating company props records
- Returning all props to correct storage locations immediately after the production is
- Troubleshooting any issues that arise during the production run and replacing/repairing
properties as necessary
- Working within predetermined budgets, submitting receipts and relative accounting records
in a timely (weekly) fashion
- Meeting with theatre personnel, the Producer, the Board of Directors and/or others as
designated by the Artistic Director
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Good working knowledge of construction methods and materials
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Awareness of safety issues and precautions
- Has appropriate physical condition to perform physical tasks such as moving furniture and properties
- Working relationships with other theaters and area organizations is a plus
REPORTS TO: The Properties Head reports directly to the Stage Manager and Artistic Director. Final employment authority is with the Producer and Artistic Director.
COMMITMENT: This is a non-Equity position running for the productions Kinky Boots and/or Jersey Boys (Subject to change). It is a temporary, part-time position. It is possible to hold this position for more than one production per season. Productions run 7 weeks in length.
June 16 - Designer Run (TBD)
June 18 - 22 - Tech week
June 23 - Opening
July 17 - Closing
Aug 4 - Designer Run (TBD)
Aug 5 - (Benefit)
Aug 6-10 - Tech Week
August 11 - Opening
Sept 3 - Closing
TO APPLY: Please supply a cover letter and resume with reference contact information.