Aurora Walker's Point Community Clinic - Public Health AmeriCorps Member
*Must be Fluent in Spanish to apply*
Aurora Walker’s Point Community Clinic serves underinsured and uninsured patients in Milwaukee County who are otherwise unable to access care. Because of the high need for such services, the clinic has been at capacity for several years and accepts new patients for urgent care only. Staff helps new patients through urgent episodes of care and works with patients to help find medical homes within 3 months of their first visit. To ensure we are providing care to our focus population, the clinic is working on refining eligibility guidelines and a process for assessment for both new and current patients.
Objective: To help develop AWPCC’s process and policies for assessing clinic and insurance eligibility of both new and established patients. This will allow the clinic to maintain access for uninsured/low income patients and direct patients who do not meet eligibility guidelines to appropriate health care homes.
1. Learn about the clinic process flow, analyze staffing and patient care and present a plan for times and opportunities when the assessment could best take place without interrupting patient care depending on program and patient needs.
2. Finalize development of policy recommendations for assessments including creating/refining messages for patients that relay clinic intention to help and deliver the best health care to those in need.
Objective: Assist staff in determining patient eligibility within the clinic guidelines, finding new health clinics as appropriate and/or pursuing insurance options.
1. Discuss options in Spanish (Spanish fluency required) and work with interpreter services for other patient languages.
2. Collect and assess necessary paperwork for income eligibility (<250% FPL). Discuss specific patient issues and align information with clinic eligibility protocol. Direct interaction with patients.
3. Discuss, identify and suggest geographically appropriate health care clinic alternatives as needed. Help patients set up initial care and new medical home.