Medical Laboratory Scientist (House 4) - Austin
Position: Medical Laboratory Scientist (House 4)
Location: Austin, TX
Natera is currently seeking a licensed Medical Laboratory Scientist to analyze specimens and maintains equipment in good operating condition.
• Verify the proper specimen being analyzed and perform tests that need to be completed
• Proficient at analyzing clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods and procedures in an efficient manner with little to no errors
• Responsible for maintaining updated understanding and knowledge of methods performed in the lab
• Provides general oversight of personnel and the daily operations in the lab.
• Meet expected performance metrics within role as applicable.
• Follows GLP (good laboratory practice): maintain clean and organized workspace
• Completes training and other deadlines on time.
• Provide guidance for new Clinical Laboratory Operator and/or Medical Laboratory Scientists.
• Train on specialized instructions for instruments/protocols (super users)
• Recognizes and escalates equipment malfunctions; troubleshoots common analytical and processing errors according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedure
• Recognizes, documents, and escalates protocol deviations in lab to lead/supervisor
• Assists with documentation for nonconformance reports.
• Participates in the updating of departmental standard operating procedures and database to accurately reflect the current practices.
• Conducts independent continuous improvement projects
• Ensures compliance with all regulatory agency requirements through proper documentation (example maintenance logs, bench worksheet)
• Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data (if applicable)
• Maintains equipment and instruments in good operating condition (such as calibration and expiration date)
• Maintain inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory for performance of duties.
• Communicates with team and other departments on various platforms (including via e-mail)
• Provides feedback on day-to-day schedule and tasks to lead/supervisor; offers suggestions/ideas for improvement
• Assists teammates in completing daily tasks and facilitate workflow as needed
• Conducts himself/herself in a professional manner; acts as a role model/mentor to others
• Adheres to Departmental Expectations
• This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and have access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
• Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
• Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• 1-2 years of experience as a Medical Technologist or equivalent in a clinical laboratory environment.
• BS/BA degree (or equivalent) in Medical Technology, Biological Sciences, or a related field
• Current MT/MLS/CLS certification preferable from ASCP, AMT, or AAB.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, computer, troubleshooting, and pipetting skills.
• Experience in Molecular Biology preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Word processing and data management skills.
• Ability to work well in a group
• Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Duties typically performed in BSL-1 to 2 laboratories with potentially hazardous material
• Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
• Duties may require working weekends and overtime
• Must be able to lift boxes or supplies up to 35lbs
• Duties require wearing safety goggles, gloves, and laboratory coat.
• Duties require exposure to cold air due to frequent accessing of refrigeration and/or freezer units.
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you’ll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you’ll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Generous Employee Referral program. Healthy catered lunches 3 times per week, and premium snacks! Additionally, we offer complimentary premium coffee drinks and teas, and other beverages.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.