Sr Research Associate I – Protein Purification Process Development - $8,000* Sign On (Open)
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead Sciences is seeking a Sr Research Associate I with experience in protein purification process development to support operations at our biologics development and manufacturing site in Oceanside California.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Plan and execute assigned experiments that support Process Development activities and project goals.
- Select appropriate methods and techniques for performing experiments.
- Develop skills in data analysis and interpreting experiment outcomes including the ability to evaluate data quality and recognize anomalous results.
- Recommend alternatives, research new methods and techniques and proactively seek out senior personnel to discuss potential solutions to problems.
- Participate in group meetings and present results, data interpretation and conclusions.
- Demonstrate strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to explain processes used to achieve results of assigned tasks.
- Work with team oriented, collaborative and problem-solving mindset.
- Always work with safety in mind.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Preferred degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related scientific discipline.
- Prior experience in biologics purification, with an emphasis on affinity, IEX, and HIC.
- Prior experience in analytical operations: SEC/HPLC, CE (R/NR), HCP testing is beneficial, but not required.
- Knowledge of cGMPs, technology transfer, and scaling up bioprocesses.
- Must be able to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Must demonstrate excellent technical writing skills.
- Working understanding of downstream process development including centrifugation, normal and tangential flow filtration, chromatography operations, and virus clearance. The ability to demonstrate hands on experience in several of these areas is expected. Experience with multiple modalities (mAbs, bispecifics, fusion and antibody drug conjugates, virus particles) produced in microbial and mammalian expression systems is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively within the purification team to help design and execute experiments supporting process definition, optimization, and characterization with an increasing level of independence.
- Ability to collaborate with Technical Operations during technology transfer from process development to GMP manufacturing, including serving as a process development representative during purification operations, providing technical troubleshooting and identifying opportunities for future process and equipment improvements. The candidate will also contribute to the preparation of regulatory filings and process validation and characterization reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, project goals and results and should have the ability to proactively identify issues and suggest solutions in a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment. This is a highly collaborative environment where willingness and ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals across various teams is essential.
- Self-motivated, organized, and enjoy scientific investigation and thinking. The candidate will monitor and contribute to external literature and scientific conferences.
- BS degree in a relevant scientific discipline and 2+ years of relevant experience; OR
- MS degree in a relevant scientific discipline and 0+ years of relevant experience
Gilead is an equal opportunity employer.
* This Position qualifies for a $8,000 Sign-on Bonus, $4,000 payable within 30 days of start date and $4,000 payable following 6 months of continuous employment. Payments are subject to a 1-year repayment agreement from date of payment issue.