Support Desk Intern
The Helpdesk Intern is responsible for providing quality technical support with a high degree of customer satisfaction for low to moderately complex requests in a timely manner. This position will enter tickets and document reported issues, ask detailed questions and resolve the reported issue or refer the support request to the next level for resolution.
This role will serve as the first line of contact for the Enterprise Technology Department from all levels of colleagues, based on the issue, and will support both domestic and international colleagues. Follow-up with callers with a resolutions or status on when ticket will be completed.
1. Promote positive customer service attitude among peers; foster professional relationship with all colleagues by listening, understanding and responding to their needs.
2. Answer colleague technical queries (both initial and follow up) via phone, the ticketing system, email, IM Chat or in-person on a rotational basis. Log the colleague’s first contact as a new ticket or update any relevant open tickets.
3. Foster professional relationship with all colleagues by listening, understanding and responding to their needs. Promote positive customer service attitude among peers.
4. Analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve referred ticket entries related to equipment, hardware, software, peripherals, etc. for low to moderately complex issues.
5. Provide clients with step-by-step instructions on use of equipment, passwords, sign-on or other administrator activities. If unable to resolve, refer ticket to a Desktop Engineer II.
6. Research questions utilizing a variety of resources, including manuals, senior level desktop support colleagues or management.
7. Log all issues and resolutions, while working closely with senior desktop engineers and IT management on problem resolution.
8. Contribute to the technical knowledgebase by adding or editing knowledge articles for consistency and sustainability.
9. Communicate call trends in IT team meetings.
10. Receive and fulfill requests for AS400 reports.
11. Receive and fulfill requests for check printing per user/department and placing them in the receiving cabinets.
12. Perform Tape backup on a schedule basis per documented processes.
13. Communicate with new colleagues on computer use, passwords, explain issues and resolutions, update activity or train on new equipment or software.
1. Stay current with system information, changes and updates.
2. Assist in maintaining an inventory of IT hardware and software assets and must ensure proper billing methods are utilized when offering equipment to users.
3. Assist in maintaining an inventory of IT hardware and software assets and must ensure proper billing methods are utilized when offering equipment to users.
4. Provide remote technical support for conferences, special events, webinars, etc.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Associates degree in Computer Science, Information Technology. A combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
2. Minimum of one (1) year of experience in a Desktop Support environment that includes ticket logging, detailed problem outlines and initial recommendations to resolve problem.
3. Evidence of working knowledge of several of the following:
Windows Operating System,
Active Directory knowledge and usage, and/or
Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word, Internet and preferably Lotus Notes.
4. Demonstrated ability to listen, ask questions, follow-up and address client concerns.
7. Must demonstrate experience in a fast-paced workplace and ability to be flexible, responsive and self-directed.
8. Proven ability to function in a team environment, supporting team members when needed.
9. Evidence of ability to work effectively with customers in person and on the phone.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline.
2. Junior level class standing or above and actively enrolled.
3. Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
4. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
5. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and ability to be flexible and responsive
6. Prior experience with basic TCP/IP Networking protocols.
1. Position requires ability to work traditional and non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, holidays, etc.) providing remote or direct support on a rotating schedule.
2. This position is required to carry a 24/7 technical support phone on a rotational basis.
3. This position requires the ability to lift and carry computer equipment (up to 50 lbs.) and be flexible to work in small spaces (i.e., under desks, etc.).
4. Position requires responding to inquiries, via phone, in-person directly or remotely, for assistance as well as walk to a colleague’s workstation to resolve an issue. Routinely uses office equipment such as computers, phones and headsets.
5. Works in a normal office environment where there is minimal physical discomfort due to temperature, noise, dust and the like.