Principal Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Molecular and Cellular Biology
Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is inviting applications from exceptional biologists who are excited to work within a fast-moving scientific team exploring signaling stress pathways in support of translational efforts. The selected candidate will fill a hands-on wet lab position and will be expected to design and execute studies under the supervision of the principal investigator. He/she will be detail-oriented, organized, adaptable and self-motivated. The successful candidate must be an experienced experimentalist and be very comfortable presenting results to cross-functional teams. Level of appointment will be commensurate with experience.
- Execute established molecular biology and mammalian cell culture protocols
- Develop and optimize fit-for-purpose assays to interrogate mechanisms that further our understanding of relevant biology
- Analyze and interpret data, delivering results for time-sensitive goals
- Take ownership of project and work as part of a collaborative team
- BS/MS with 5+ years of technical experience
- Mastery of: Mammalian cell culture including primary cells and/or 3D-cultures, iPSCs maintenance and differentiation, molecular biology (PCR, Gibson assembly, DNA/RNA isolation), biochemistry (SDS-PAGE, Western Blot)
- Experience with: Fluorescence microscopy, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry (fixed- and live-cell), protein purification and assay development, 96- and 384-well microplate-based assays using recombinant proteins and/or cells
- Strong attention to detail, possess quantitative skills and excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Able to plan, execute and troubleshoot experiments independently