Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a full-time Bioinformatics Analyst within the Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core.
The Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core provides computational and statistical research support to the growing number of scientists dedicated to studying cancer, neurodegenerative disease, epigenetics, and metabolomics at VAI. Bioinformatics Analysts assist VAI faculty and staff in the collection, management, analysis, visualization and interpretation of biological data; experimental design consulting; data processing and quality analysis; data integration, and evaluation of analytical tools and technology.
We prioritize bioinformaticians with a willingness and ability to independently learn a broad spectrum of methodologies. The following list of typical daily duties and responsibilities represents the diversity and breadth of this position.
- Communicate computational, statistical and biological concepts clearly and effectively.
- Analyze Next-Gen Sequence (NGS) data using established and novel workflows.
- RNA-Seq, scRNA-Seq, Cut&Run, ChIP-Seq, ATAC-Seq, WGBS
- Variant identification, annotation and association analysis
- Work within a Linux High-Performance Compute Cluster (HPCC).
- Create and manage scripts or workflows in R, Python, Perl, Bash and Snakemake.
- Assist researchers with mining and analysis of diverse private and public databases.
- Contribute to scientific presentations and publications
- Provide bioinformatics and biocomputing training
The Van Andel Institute Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core is an energetic, innovative and diverse group of scientists that are passionate about data analysis. This job might be right for a person who:
- Recognizes, establishes and maintains relationships with a wide variety of VAI and external scientists.
- Manages multiple projects with multiple clients and multiple timelines.
- Is interested in joining a team of professionals dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge and providing top quality customer service.
- Loves taking on difficult challenges and finding the best solution whether it be tried-and-true or cutting edge.
- Enjoys collaborating and working as a team. You respect the skills each team member brings to the table while still being able to provide constructive criticism.
To qualify for this position, you need to have at least:
- Master of Science in bioinformatics, computational or systems biology, physical or computer science or similar breadth of training. Candidates with a Bachelor of Science degree and 5+ years of directly related experience in a professional research environment will be considered.
- 2+ years of experience working in a Linux HPCC with NGS applications in a professional research environment, which does not include classroom experience.
- 2+ years of experience in a professional research environment programming with R and python required. Perl experience will be considered.
- 2+ years of experience in a professional research environment managing and analyzing NGS datasets.
- Working knowledge of public biological databases (NCBI, ENCODE, ENSEMBL, TCGA, UCSC, etc.).
- Mastery of the principles of experimental design and modern data analysis paradigms.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
Additional helpful experience includes:
- Professional experience developing NGS workflows with R, Snakemake and Python.
- Demonstrated contributions to research and a publication record in bioinformatics.
How to Apply:
If you possess the desired qualification and attributes, we welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today!
In your application, provide the following in one combined document:
- cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
- names and contact information of 3 references.
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities.
green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.