Flow Cytometry Specialist (Cell Sorting Technician)
Flow Cytometry Specialist
Cell Sorting Technician
Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a Flow Cytometry Specialist (Cell Sorting Technician) within the Flow Cytometry Core. The Flow Cytometry Core provides assay design, consulting, cell-sorting, and analysis services to both internal and external researchers.
The Flow Cytometry Core is a growing team within VAI. As a Flow Cytometry Specialist, you will work under the direction of the Flow Cytometry Core Manager. This position might be right for your if you:
- Enjoy helping others, and you are patient and levelheaded.
- Pay attention to detail. Every project, big or small, is worth doing well, every single time.
- Are comfortable asking questions and know when it’s important to ask questions before taking steps forward.
- Are collaborative and an excellent communicator who is flexible and has a customer service-oriented personality.
- Have a strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Have enthusiasm for and curiosity about a broad range of scientific disciplines
- Are technologically-minded and interested in cutting-edge cytometry instrumentation
To qualify for this position, you need to have at least:
· Associate’s or bachelor’s degree focused on a biological or physical science with laboratory/bench experience
· Ability to effectively communicate in-person and remotely
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Additional helpful experience includes:
· Knowledge of biochemical and immunological principles
· Mechanical aptitude for basic instrument maintenance
· Knowledge of flow principles and techniques is a plus, however training will be provided
In any given day, your duties and responsibilities might include:
· Performing daily startup, calibration, operation, and shutdown of both cell sorters and benchtop analyzers
· Maintain cleanliness of cytometers and lab space
· Perform or assist with basic equipment maintenance and repair
· Assist and train researchers in core procedures, instrumentations, and data analysis
· Perform analysis and prepare reports for researchers and internal core projects
· Restock and order lab supplies and reagents
· Communicate effectively with our Core Manager and facility users
How to Apply: http://bit.ly/3brngkn
If you possess the desired qualification and attributes, we welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today!
In your application, provide us the following:
· cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
· names and contact information of 3 references.
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities.
green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.