Biologist Technician-Aquatic Habitat/Fish Passage
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
ATTP99-11951-Biologist Technician-Aquatic Habitat/Fish Passage-Jackson
CLOSING DATE:02/28/20 11:59 PM
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking two (2) full-time, seasonal positions to assist biologists throughout the state in field data collection for aquatic habitat projects and terrestrial habitat projects evaluation. The positions are 4-6 months in duration and will be based in Jackson, WY. Applicants unable to work from May through at least October should not apply.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507 Laura email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Collect stream habitat data requiring use of surveying equipment; measure stream discharge. If not already familiar with these techniques, should be able to learn quickly and perform these tasks independently after a short training period.
- Conduct entrainment sampling in irrigation ditches and assess road crossings and irrigation diversions for fish passage.
- Conduct riparian and upland vegetation monitoring.
- Communication with a variety of individuals from various agencies as well as private landowners may be required.
- Other duties include performing data entry, report writing, quality control and equipment maintenance tasks. Biologist technicians may occasionally assist other regional fisheries management crews in such tasks as electrofishing, netting, stream surveys, or other fishery management tasks
Preference will be given to those pursuing a career or degree in fisheries, rangeland management or closely related field. This may include preference towards those with a high school degree plus experience in fish and wildlife resource management, research, or college course work towards a degree in fishery or wildlife management, ichthyology, hydrology, watershed science or other closely related field.
**Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision and also be able to work well with others on a small crew.
- Ability to learn new skills and techniques quickly and apply those skills efficiently.
None - See "Preferences"
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May require operation of 4wd vehicles and towing trailers
- Requires considerable physical labor including working, hiking, and camping in the field for up to 8 days at a time
- Weekend work and holidays may be required
- May require ability to navigate independently with a map in remote locations. Use of GPS and a basic working knowledge of ArcMap software may be required.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- The positions are 4-6 months in duration and will be based in Jackson, WY.
- Tentative dates for these positions are May – late October.
- Off-duty housing is not provided.
- Lodging, waders, rain gear, uniform, and other necessary field equipment and expenses will be provided when in the field.
- Applicants should complete a State of Wyoming online application; preference will be given to applicants who attach a cover letter, resume, and copies of transcripts with this application. The cover letter should include career plans, suitability for the job, and dates or availability (clearly state your starting and ending availability).
- Seasonal housing in Jackson can be difficult to secure and expensive. Applicants are encouraged to explore housing options before applying or accepting a position.
- Additional questions and information about the positions can be addressed by contacting Lara Gertsch at (307) 684-5607.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Fish Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATTP99
Job # 11951
ATTP99-11951-BIOLOGIST TECHNICIAN-AQUATIC HABITAT/FISH PASSAGE-JACKSON
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.