STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $15.01 Hourly
CLOSING DATE:02/15/20 11:59 PM
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking four herpetology technicians to work closely in teams of 2 to 4 people to survey for reptiles and amphibians in Wyoming. Two general herpetology technicians (one from May 4 - Sept. 15; one from June 1 – Sept. 30) will assist on a variety of projects statewide. Two amphibian acoustic technicians (May 4 – August 31) will assist with acoustic monitoring of amphibians statewide using nocturnal calling surveys and automated recording units as well as assist with surveying for and removal of non-native bullfrogs.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507 email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Maintain a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and be able to work well with others in a team setting.
- Use a variety of sampling techniques (visual encounter surveys, auditory surveys, hoop nets, funnel traps, dip nets, driving transects, etc.) to survey for herpetofauna throughout the state.
- Hike in rugged and remote terrain.
- Conduct field surveys and record detailed biological data.
Preference may be given to those with a high school degree plus 2 years experience in fish and wildlife resource management, research, or habitat development or 2 years of college course work towards a baccalaureate degree in wildlife management, herpetology, ichthyology, biology, ecology, natural resources management, or another closely related field.
**Must have a valid drivers license.
- Experience working in the field, conducting biological surveys, and collecting field data.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and record accurate data.
- Experience using hand-held GPS for navigation and/or data collection.
- Experience surveying for wild reptiles and amphibians preferred.
- Ability to work well with a field crew for extended periods.
- Ability to collaborate with and engage the public, private landowners, and agency personnel.
None - See "Preferences"
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May work, hike, and camp in the field with coworkers in areas with little or no cell phone coverage.
- Must be able to work independently and in remote locations throughout Wyoming.
- Will be required to work a variable schedule that at times will include long hours, weekends, and nights.
- Extensive travel across the state is required.
- May be required to carry a backpack in rough terrain
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- Cover Letter: Applicants need to attach a cover letter explaining career plans, suitability for the job, and dates of availability (start and end dates are particularly important). Please also submit 3 references. Cover letter and references may be submitted with the online application and should also be emailed directly to Wendy Estes-Zumpf, Herpetological Coordinator (Wendy.Estes-Zumpf@wyo.gov).
- CONTACT: For more information regarding these positions, contact Wendy Estes-Zumpf at Wendy.Estes-Zumpf@wyo.gov or 307-721-1380.
- Waders, rain gear, snake chaps, uniform, and other necessary field equipment will be provided. Housing in Laramie will not be provided.
- Housing when not in the field is not provided.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Fish Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATTP99
Job # 11870
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.