Biologist Technician-Instream Flow
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
ATAW99-11912-Biologist Technician-Instream Flow-Cheyenne
CLOSING DATE:01/27/20 11:59 PM
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking to hire one (1) Biologist Technician – Instream Flow. This seasonal position will assist a biologist throughout the state with stream habitat and discharge data collection and analysis for instream flow evaluations and aquatic habitat project monitoring. The position will be based in Cheyenne and is 7-8 months in duration, starting in late March or early April and concluding in November. Applicants unable to work from April through October should not apply.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507 Laura email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Collect stream habitat data by using surveying equipment (total station, auto level, and laser level), velocity meters, echosounder, GPS, and dataloggers. If not already familiar with using such equipment, the Biologist Technician should be able to learn quickly and use equipment independently after a short training period.
- Other duties include performing data entry, analysis, and quality control; report writing; and routine maintenance of equipment. Biologist technician may occasionally assist other regional aquatic habitat and fisheries management crews in such tasks as vegetation monitoring, electrofishing, netting, stream surveys, or other fishery management tasks.
Preference will be given to college graduates with a degree in fisheries or wildlife management, aquatic ecology, ichthyology, hydrology, watershed science, or a closely related field.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience in surveying, using GPS and ArcMap
Preference will be given to applicants with experience in performing aquatic habitat assessments.
**Must have valid driver's license.
- Prior outdoor experience, such as fieldwork or backcountry camping.
- Ability to collect detailed and accurate stream habitat data both independently and in close cooperation with others, and to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions
None - See "Preferences"
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Technician must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision and to work well with others on a small crew.
- This is a field position that requires considerable physical labor such as wading in swift water, hiking, and carrying backpacks.
- Field work can occur in inclement weather and may require camping in the field for up to 8 days at a time.
- Weekend and holiday work may be required.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours, including early mornings and late evenings.
- Must be willing to perform extensive travel across the state in Department vehicles.
- Will require operation of 4wd vehicles and may require towing trailers.
- May require ability to navigate independently with a map in remote locations.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- Lodging, waders, rain gear, uniform, and other necessary field equipment and expenses will be provided when in the field. Off-duty housing is not provided.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact Del Lobb, Instream Flow Biologist (307-777-4673), to gain additional information about the position and selection process.
- Applicants should attach a cover letter and resume with their online application. The cover letter should include career plans, suitability for the job, and dates of availability (starting and ending dates are particularly important).
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Fish Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATAW99
Job # 11912
ATAW99-11912-BIOLOGIST TECHNICIAN-INSTREAM FLOW-CHEYENNE
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.