PTS College Intern - Planning
The City of Santa Clarita is committed to providing a challenging and meaningful work experience for college students. The City offers unique opportunities for students to gain hands-on and in-depth experience in a variety of disciplines related to local, regional, state, and federal government operations. We provide real world work assignments, which provide interns the opportunity to work side-by-side with professional City staff committed to teamwork and providing superior municipal services to the community of Santa Clarita.
SALARY: $16.03 - $25.03/hour
OPENING DATE: 7/15/19
CLOSING DATE: 7/29/19
20-30 hours per week is preferred. Expected duration of this internship is from July 2019 to June 2020.
DESCRIPTION/DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist public at the planning counter and over the phone, including partnering with planners to process various permit applications
- Assist with review of zoning and development applications
- Learn current and advance planning and implementation of the City's General Plan and Zoning Code
- Implement GIS data updates for Wireless Facilities, Master Sign Programs, and Vehicle Overlay Zones
- Complete website updates
- Support division record-keeping
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
If you are a current or recent undergraduate or graduate student of urban planning or a similar field and are interested in gaining meaningful, hands-on work experience at the local government level, this may be the program for you.
THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES ARE HIGHLY DESIRABLE:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- General understanding of governmental organizations and municipal operations
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to foster effective working relationships
- Computer experience, including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Knowledge of OmniRim and GIS platforms preferred but not required
An online completed City application is required to apply for this position. All employment information must be provided on the application. Providing a resume is not a substitute for completing this section of the application. Applications left incomplete or with a reference to attachments may be rejected.
All offers of employment with the City of Santa Clarita are made contingent upon receipt of proof of legal right to work in the United States and successful completion of Department of Justice fingerprinting. Criminal offender information will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The City uses the E-Verify program to electronically confirm work authorization of newly hired employees.
In addition, College Interns may be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull-Notice Program. This program authorizes the City to receive a driving record upon hire and during employment.
Part-time, temporary and seasonal (PTS) workers are at-will.
The City of Santa Clarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.santa-clarita.com.
A fully completed online City application form is required to apply for this position until closing on July 29, 2019, at 12:00 p.m.